Kawempe Early Childhood Program (ECDP)
# of Sponsored Children: 10
# of Children Waiting for Sponsors: 20
Year Connected to ARM: 2011
Closest Major City: Kampala
Sponsorship Location Code: KAW ECP03
City Population: 268,659 people (2002)
Average Income: $30 per month
Literacy Rate: 30%
% Orphaned: 11%
Distance to Entebbe Airport: 23 miles
• CDP Project
• ECDP Project
• Bible Gospel Church
• Mercy Network
Community Qualities: Kawempe Division is one of the 5 divisions that make up Kampala District in Uganda. The location of the division strategically makes it the major entry point of traffic from the North Western and North Eastern parts of Uganda to the city centre. The majority of people in the area are Muslim.
Primary Issues: Poverty, unemployment, drug abuse, prostitution & theft. Muslims are the majority population, which is a challenge to Christian influence in the area.
Project Overseer: Ps. Edward Mwesigwa Baligonzaki
Pastor Baligonzaki is the senior pastor of Bible Gospel Church Kawempe and one of the directors of Bible Gospel Ministries. He and his wife Jane have 5 children. He plays a key role in empowering youth by being an advocate for child welfare & youth camps.
Project Coordinator: Pamela Muganga
Pamela Muganga is a biological mother of twins, plus her 30 children in Kawempe ECDP! She sees the parents and community members in Kawempe as her friends and colleagues. She has worked with ARM since 2010. She is passionate about seeing change in her community and the families she serves.
Additional Staff: Racheal Lukwago
Keep Kawempe ECDP in your prayers!
• Transformation in the families of the children
• Transformation of the community and the church
• Improved health and wellbeing of the children in the program
• Improved parenting skills of the mothers
• Improved household income through a domestic savings program for the families in the program
• Improved relationship and stronger bounds between the children and the mothers
• Salvation for the families in the program
• Strengthening of the marriages and family relationships between the mothers & fathers of the children
• To create a saving mentality among families in order to improve family’s financial stability
• For staff wisdom and resilience as they work with the children
• For the staff and their families, that God would keep them safe
• For financial provision of the project, that God would provide space for them to expand
• For provision of a playground for the children